- Ez az esemény elmúlt.
Challah making & HaMotzi / Szarvas Spirit Days
This gathering will teach you how to braid challah bread, as well as what is the blessing we say over bread. You will need to prepare the dough for challah in advance.
Classic Challah dough recipe.
For 2 big Loaves:
1 Kg flour = 8 cups
100g = 1/2 cup sugar
12g = 2 Tsp salt
14g = 2 Tbsp dry yeast
100g = 1/2 cup oil
Up to 2 cups lukewarm water
Egg for brushing
Sesame for decoration
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl. The flour, sugar, salt and the yeast.
2. Add the oil and slowly start to pour the water into the bowl and mix the mixture with your hand each time water is added. At this point, I love to mix it slowly and give to the dough full attention and my present. It can help you to understand the process better for the future and connect with your new creation.
3. You can start to knead the dough with your two hands.
Continue to add water if you need it until it’s smooth, elastic, and not sticky. Continue to knead the dough for the next 10 min. The dough is ready to rest and rise when it’s flexible, soft and can be stretched.
4. Cover gently the bowl with a saran wrap and a kitchen towel. Let the dough rise for around 1.5 hours, or until the dough doubled the size. be patient in this part, I know it’s hard sometimes but it’s important to let the dough rise properly for best results.
5. Take the dough out from the bowl and start to knead it very shortly to take all the air out. The dough should be elastic and easy to play with.
6. Your dough is ready for braiding. THIS IS WHAT WE WILL DO TOGETHER LIVE ON ZOOM. FOR BRAIDING YOUR CHALLAH YOU WILL GET INSTRUCTIONS FROM US.
7. After you shape it, put your Challah dough on the tray and let it rest between 40min – one hour or till it’s doubled the size. After the Challah proofed, brush the Challah with the egg from the top, spread some sesame and the Challah is ready to be baked.
8. Put it in the oven on 180 °c for around 25-30, that’s can be different from oven to oven, anyway make sure your Challah getting brown and tanned all around.